Wednesday Wellness Blog

I want to share with you another article by Dr. Becker. I, for one, didn’t know that blue/green algae could be deadly.  Summer Killer Alert: Please Don’t Let Your Pets Breathe, Touch, Eat or Drink Here.

Story at-a-glance

  • A summertime hazard many pet parents aren’t aware of is toxic blue-green algae, which are found in freshwater lakes, streams and ponds
  • Blue-green algae contain deadly cyanobacteria that can cause severe illness and death, most commonly in dogs who swim in or drink from contaminated water sources
  • Exposure to blue-green algae is a medical emergency and immediate veterinary care is required
  • Since blue-green algae toxicity is often fatal even with aggressive treatment, play it safe by keeping your pet away from any body of water that is greenish in color
  • Not all blue-green algae are toxic; harmful blooms usually smell bad and resemble pea soup, green paint or floating mats of scum

Picture of grass awns credited to Tails Around the Ranch

Also, just last week I learned about a dangerous plant called grass awns at Tails Around the Ranch, featuring Sam and Elsa, two great Standard Poodles. Their Mom writes, “… I know only too well that fox tails are very much alive and well in urban settings and can easily attach themselves to a leg or paw while walking. The result can lead to infection and extensive (read expensive) vet treatment.”  If you, like me, are not familiar with this plant, you can visit Mr. Google or just follow the blog link to learn more about it.

It seems we and our animal friends live in a dangerous world. It’s summer here. Be safe.

 

Friday Food for Thought

Lately, I have been doing a lot of research on dog-related matters, especially nutrition and meds. Every time I learn something new, I realize how much more I have to learn.

For some time now, I have been wondering how much harm I have done/am doing by using insecticides in the forms of flea spray, flea baths, flea prevention, heartworm prevention and lawn products.  The question, “Why am I poisoning my dog?” keeps recurring, with the obvious answer of “for her own good.” Huh?

I want to do better than that, and I believe I can. So, without promoting or suggesting any particular action, I want to share with you some of the things I have learned. I realize you may shrug and say that’s not for me, or, hopefully, like me, be interested enough to dig a little deeper. Today’s link is about worms and heartworms and is entitled Prevent and Treat Bug Bites with These Natural Solutions and includes a link to an illustrated Heartworm Guide.  I am very interested in hearing your thoughts.

Have a good weekend, all!