I want to share with you another article by Dr. Becker. I, for one, didn’t know that blue/green algae could be deadly. Summer Killer Alert: Please Don’t Let Your Pets Breathe, Touch, Eat or Drink Here.
- A summertime hazard many pet parents aren’t aware of is toxic blue-green algae, which are found in freshwater lakes, streams and ponds
- Blue-green algae contain deadly cyanobacteria that can cause severe illness and death, most commonly in dogs who swim in or drink from contaminated water sources
- Exposure to blue-green algae is a medical emergency and immediate veterinary care is required
- Since blue-green algae toxicity is often fatal even with aggressive treatment, play it safe by keeping your pet away from any body of water that is greenish in color
- Not all blue-green algae are toxic; harmful blooms usually smell bad and resemble pea soup, green paint or floating mats of scum
Also, just last week I learned about a dangerous plant called grass awns at Tails Around the Ranch, featuring Sam and Elsa, two great Standard Poodles. Their Mom writes, “… I know only too well that fox tails are very much alive and well in urban settings and can easily attach themselves to a leg or paw while walking. The result can lead to infection and extensive (read expensive) vet treatment.” If you, like me, are not familiar with this plant, you can visit Mr. Google or just follow the blog link to learn more about it.
It seems we and our animal friends live in a dangerous world. It’s summer here. Be safe.